Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Who is teaching whom?

Well Beth and I started our summer Bible study, and so far it seems like we're learning more from God than they are from us! Both Beth and I are in a place where we are needing to trust in the truths of God and not focus on the lack of feeling in our hearts. It is so easy to sit back and pout that God isn't here, or that we can't feel Him moving in our lives anymore--instead of pursuing Him and crying out to Him in the midst of the desert place we are in. But God has graciously been showing up in my life this past week in His still small voice. He had to pull my eyes up to see how He has been here with me guiding me just as He promised.

The other night Beth and I were at Starbucks planning the study for that week and I just stopped and couldn't go on anymore. I told her I couldn't teach something I didn't believe myself! She said she felt the same way. So we had an awesome time sharing with each other where we were spiritually at that point and what we were struggling with...then God showed up and started to open our hearts and eyes to what He was using this time in our lives for. He started to teach us through His Word and through each other. He was the Bible study leader and we were His disciples. It was the coolest experience! We were so excited and couldn't wait to tell our girls about what had happened.

So Saturday arrived (the day of our second meeting)and no one showed up to our Bible study. It was so depressing and discouraging. Beth and I didn't know what to think, we were so full of questions. God, why did you show us so much and not let us teach it? Why didn't anyone show up? Did we do something wrong? Are we supposed to lead a Bible study this summer? What happened? So we rescheduled for Tuesday and today five girls came and listened to what we had to say. I hope that somewhere in the talk one girl was reached and touched by God.

Thinking back now on this past week...it really does seem like I benefited more than the girls did. Beth and I had a personal Bible study with God and He led us through His Word...He spoke to us again at Monday night's meeting and then...He met me at work as I cried out to Him in my frustration. It's sort of ironic that in my mind I'm the one supposed to be teaching the girls about God and seeing them grow....and this week I experienced that more than they did! But teachers learn just as much as students do...and man, this week I learned that really quick!

No comments: