Thursday, June 17, 2004

Sing to me Franky!

The romantic mood has swept me off my feet and asked me to dance! Here I am listening to the greatest love songs—singing along, wishing I could ballroom dance. Autumn Leaves, Moon River, As Time Goes By, The Way You Look Tonight, Unforgettable, You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me, Love Is Here to Stay...all these songs set the mood! Frank Sinatra is singing to me while I sway back and forth typing this entry. Maybe I’ll meet some people in Tally this up-coming year that will teach me how to ballroom dance or will just dance with me!

My freshman year I went Swing dancing a few Fridays…and even Valentine’s Day! I learned how to follow—I had some awesome guys helping me with that part! :) I also learned the Lindie and triple-step. But ballroom dancing is elegant and looks so fun! Someday...maybe I’ll force my husband to learn with me...or maybe he’ll teach me! How’s that for the romantic in me! ;) Dancing used to be classy and if you knew how to do it right gorgeous to watch! Just rent some Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers movies or any oldie for that matter. People used to be talented when they danced. Nowadays all you have to know how to do is bend your knees and bob your head and torso to the beat of rap music. No actual steps involved, or spins…just convulsing your body...and I won’t even discuss the nasty booty dancing that practically makes you sick if you see it.

I love music so much! Which reminds me, my friend borrowed quite a few of my CDs and she’s left the country, but I don’t have them back! I’m feeling slightly empty without them in my life! Is that sad? I love music, so not being able to play my CDs on my way to work has been a little tough. Good thing my computer has music or I’d go insane! That’s another thing that’s strange, what happened to that vintage sounding voice? The Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole sound? The only guy that is close to them is Harry Connick Jr. And possibly some broadway voices I’ve heard on soundtracks. Love songs aren’t the same without that voice.

Of course if I really wanted to go off I would start with the love songs of today...ok I think I will...they are pathetic. If it doesn’t talk about sleeping together, it’s talking about how hot a woman/man looks and how they are going to convince them to sleep together. Oh yeah, that’s definitely sometime I’ll want to listen to a lot. Whatever. It’s all self-focused. That’s the difference. Frank sings about his feelings and how the little things she does makes him smile, he compliments her, tells her things a girl would want to hear. He even uses adjectives and metaphors for his feelings. Love songs of today have a limited vocabulary…usually involving the words: hot, sexy, all the words for the behind, turn me on...etc. All of which suggest that anyone who is interested in each other should immediately sleep together and then get to know each other. Because a great relationship always starts that way. Yeah right. And I know that Frankie is not perfect,all I mean is that innocence and purity used to be valued in love songs. But obviously that is not true anymore. Alright I’ve stepped off my platform now.

I think I’ll end with lyrics from a song that I love--
“Someday when I’m awfully low, when the world is cold, I will feel a glow just thinking of you and the way you look tonight. Yes you’re lovely, with your smile so warm, and your cheek so soft, there is nothing for me but to love you, and the way you look tonight.

With each word your tenderness grows, tearing my fear apart. And that laugh that wrinkles your nose, touches my foolish heart. Lovely, never ever change, keep that breathless charm! Won’t you please arrange it? Because I love you, just the way you look tonight.”

No comments: