Saturday, May 29, 2004

Zellwood Corn Festival

The Zellwood Corn Festival. That is where I have been for the past 5 hours. 2 of those hours were spent on the road. It took us 1 hr & 15 mins to drive to the place...and then 45 mins to get home! ha! We beat the crowd that time! But man...what an experience. Who knew that Orlando would have a corn festival?! I would never have picked Orlando to be a place that grows corn, but the corn was actually pretty good! I also didn't think this festival would be as popular as it was, but there were about 7,000 people there! Chris Rice and Mark Lowry were there too! When my parents asked if I wanted to go, there were 4 things that went through my head.

1. Funnel Cake--need I say more? I mean who wouldn't want to pass up an opportunity to ingest six months worth of grease and sugar in one sitting?

2. People watching--my favorite sport! ;)

3. A great event to blog about! --yes it is sad when your mind starts seeing things through blog entrees...but I like to call it my "creative-writing side" taking over!

4. A way to see a 'free' concert by Chris Rice! --it was pretty basic, but hey, I saw him live, and that's all that matters! I enjoyed his concert quite a bit. :)

I did have funnel cake(objective #1), my sis and I shared a plate-full. It would disgust me if I were to think about what I ate...which is why I decide not to. But the real story was while I was in-line for the funnel cake. I had to have been in that line for sixteen days, it took forever...ok maybe 40 minutes. But seriously, who decided to put ONE worker back there to serve and make the funnel cakes & hotdogs?! Zellwood did!! So I stood in line for forty minutes. But within that time-span I did quite a bit of people watching (objective #2). First, there was the man behind me who kept making his two elementary-aged daughters stand in line for him while he "checked on something." Then by the time I was 5 people from the front he miraculously ended up IN FRONT of me?! How did this happen? I don't know...but it was definitely weird when I first noticed it. He even looked back at me and smiled like it was normal he was in front of me after waiting in line thirty minutes behind me.

But if he hadn't have done that then I would never have talked to the lady behind me. She was weird too, she kept overhearing people's conversations and either repeating everything she saw to her husband who had perfectly good eye sight or making her own comments like they could hear her. At one point she noticed the interaction between the guy who kept leaving his kids and his youngest daughter. I guess she was about to throw away her lemonade and her dad told her he wanted it. Well this lady comments to her husband, who, I might add, saw the whole thing, "He doesn't want her to throw away the lemonade, he seems to want it himself." Why she felt the need to say this, I do not know. While I was finally buying the five hotdogs for my family she says to me in a sweet high-pitched voice, "don't buy all the hotdogs! (laughter)" there were seriously like eighteen hotdogs on the grill...why would I buy that many?

What was even funnier was the guy behind the booth...he must have been a Zellwood local. He had quite the belly and decided to take a little smoking break, once I got to the front of the line, of course. Another interesting quirk of his was his way of checking to see if the hotdogs were done. He would take his tongs and rip off a piece of the hotdog and eat it. Yes right in front of us. He did that and then, satisfied with the temperature or whatever, started to serve me the five hotdogs! hahaha it was the funniest, most un-sanitary thing I have ever seen at a carnival! When he did it to the lady behind me she made another dumb comment..something like "I saw that! (laughter)" He just stared at her.

*Well there was so much more that happened, but I must end it here. Maybe I'll blog a part 2 later!* Meanwhile, enjoy these pictures of the Zellwood Corn Festival! The first one is a poster of the event, and the second one was actually on stage and yes, that is a husk of corn with legs.

No comments: