Friday, October 13, 2006

"...there's a somebody I'm longing to see; I hope that he, turns out to be; someone who'll watch over me..."

My "Adore List" is back! :) And since it has been five months since I last touched it, here's a recap, each one is linked back to the original post, so the list can truly be appreciated:

1. Apples & Peanut Butter
2. Bumble bees
3. Scrabble
and...number 4 is... Jazz /Swing music!


Nothing puts a smile on my face like a good croon song. Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr., Ella Fitzgerald, Julie London, Norah Jones...are some of the voices I love who set the jazz/swing music mood. They lift my spirits when I am gloomy or sad, relax my nerves after a long day or moment of frustration and cause a smile to grace my face. If I'm upset, the mellow tones of Norah's Jazz piano de-stress my mind. And like sunshine on a cloudy day, the unrequited lover's cry of Frankie, Nat, Ella, Julie, Michael and Harry break through my gloom.

I was in Starbucks a few months ago trying to write a paper when it happened. Frankie's voice sang through the store. I stopped, there was no way I could ignore him and write when he was singing to me. So like a dork, I sat there smiling and swaying to the lovely music until the song ended and reality hit me that I probably should get back to that paper... it was one of the best random study breaks I've experienced. :)

I can't help but dance, when I hear the sassy Swing. The loud brass, crazy lyrics and snappy beat draw me in. I love the crystal clear way the voices sound and the syncopated rhythm. My college freshman year I took a few swing dancing lessons. Man that was fun! Friday a group of us would go and learn a few steps, then later that night dance. There were some good dancers...especially when our instructors started the Lindy! But sadly, I stopped dancing after that semester...and now don't really have anyone to dance with...maybe someday I'll get back into it.

Another bonus of swing/jazz music I adore reveals itself around the end of the year. Magic happens when you take any of these musicians and add the Christmas season. The harmony of sound and holiday spirit create the perfect combination, to make my day, utterly and wonderfully splendid. :)


No comments: