Thursday, April 06, 2006

5 Things I Adore continued...

On to number 2 of my 'Adore' list!!

2. Bumblebees--I know, I know, it's shocking...and before I continue I must clarify something. There is one stipulation that must be present for me to fully enjoy the bumblebee. I must be a safe distance away from them that I am not in their direct path of flight or in danger of being stung by them. Now, on to the reasons why I enjoy these creatures...

They are so cute and fuzzy! However, I do not like bees...only bumblebees--the fat kind. The ones who create havoc in the flower kingdom by causing flowers to do a backbend or forward lean to compensate for the hefty weight of these little guys. :) It's hilarious to watch them fly from flower to flower collecting nectar and unknowingly making the flowers bob up and down in a type of psychotic dance.

Bumblebees are also amazingly focused. They aren't easily distracted from their little job...one time I watched them on my work break...and for twenty minutes these bumbles went from flower to flower, no break, no resting on a branch, just complete focus. I wish I had their work ethic and could be so focused that my school work gets done in a matter of hours!

Bumblebees can hide in some of the flowers they find. It's so funny how they completely climb into the flower...hahaha! It's like they found a hideout or a nice cozy, soft chair to immerse themselves in. Another interesting characteristic is the collection of pollen on their back legs...when it gets real heavy it sort of looks like chaps on a cowboy...or pantaloons on a pirate.

heehee.

Bumblebees are simply adorable to me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this blog saved the day =) I am having a hard day today, and I decided I would see how my Big Sister's blog is doing...and this post made me smile and laugh, it totally made me glad to have such a perfect sister and to see the things she adores...and i agree, bumblebees are too cute =) i love you and you help me in more ways than you'll ever know

love your little sister,
kris

Carrie said...

Aww thanks Kris! I love you soo much! Can't wait to see you soon! :)

Anonymous said...

I remember being chased by a HUGE bumblebee while playing in your yard in the Philippines. Scarred me for life.

-Kyle