Wednesday, June 28, 2006

one more thing...

So I just have to say the Birthday Surprise cake (the first picture) was incredibly complicated. I think I must have held my breath every time I had to place a layer on top of a completely decorated layer. It felt wrong making it pretty and then risking ruining the whole stinking thing by placing an iced layer on top of a decorated layer. By the way if you ever want a stacked cake, don't get it in whipped topping because it's not a stable icing for stacking. I had to call the customer who wanted this and tell him it was not possible to do his cake in whipped topping...so he settled with a base icing of WT and decorations with butter cream. (THANK GOODNESS!) I couldn't have done it without the sticky consistency of the BC.

So, after it was all packaged in it's box, which by the way is also quite a feat
--you have to balance this towering sheet cake masterpiece on a little cardboard lifty-thing and then lift it into the box without tipping the whole thing over!!--
anyways, after it was boxed up I just pictured the customer walking out with it and then bumping into someone with it and my cake being thrown into the side of the box...icing sticking everywhere...cake layers smooshed...perfection diminished to cake sludge. I have NO idea if that even happened or whether the guy who wanted it liked it...my shift was over before he came and picked it up. Ah well, the life of a cake decorator apprentice...who definitely went above and beyond her job description that day...for C.D. apprentices are not supposed to fill orders, just do back up...but hey, I had amazingly fantastic training (thanks brian!) and was able to fill the gap and create this insane cake! I actually had 'fun' doing it too, only because it was new and challenging...so maybe one day in the future I will create wedding cakes for people?? it's the same basic concept, except with a few hundred dollars and a couple more layers! ;)

No comments: