Friday, March 24, 2006

March Madness

The NCAAs have been quite obnoxious this year...all the teams I have cheered for are now out of the tourament. ALL of them...as of last night. One horrific night two of my teams lost in upsets. Now I have no one to cheer for and it's depressing. I love basketball and hate it at the same time. So here is a re-cap of my March Madness:


Florida State: My Seminoles...I watched them throughout the season here in Tally and was able to get to know some players...connected with my team. But we didn't even make it to the NCAA, even with the win over Duke--stupid Wake Forrest. But we were invited to the NIT. We won against Butler 67-63, but lost in the second round to South Carolina 69 - 68 in overtime. So our season overall was 20-10.

Syracuse: Watched them blow away their conference by slight wins over their opponents. I got attached, what can I say? It was amazing to watch them make incredible shots and win games that were down to the wire! So I was excited to watch them during the NCAAs...well that happened only once. They lost in the first round to Texas A&M 66-58. Sadness! The Orange Men ended their season overall 23-12.

Duke: I'm a huge fan on account of two factors. One, my brother goes there, and two, I know the players and could recognize them on tv. They are an amazing bball team and I was excited to watch them make it to the Final Four atleast! Since my two other teams had lost already, Duke was my holdout...until last night. I had to go to class, so I wasn't able to watch the first part of the game, but I sat there the last 5 minutes in stunned silence...horrifed and so sad to watch them get beat by LSU. They had worked so hard, JJ was such a cool guy...I was so disappointed for them. To lose in the Sweet 16 in the last 3 minutes of the game...heartbreaking. The Blue Devils ended their season overall 32-4.

Gonzaga: The school my cousin Blake Stepp played bball for...lost last night. The one team I had left...lost. After watching Duke lose I watched part of their game and thought, they're so far ahead, it's going to be a sure thing. Boy was I wrong....they call it madness for a reason. This morning, I look and find out my last team is gone...done...out of the tourney. AHHHH! What is going on? They lost in the Sweet 16 to UCLA 73-71. Ending the Bulldogs overall season with 29-4.

Now I am at a loss...do I keep watching? Do I pick another team? My friend told me to go for Boston College, only because they are part of the ACC conference...so they are my last hope. They play tonight night...we'll see how they do...Let's Go Eagles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! I was cheering for Boston College for the same reasons, after watching Duke and Gonzaga go down. So far my allegiances to any team in the NCAAs has meant the kiss of death. I don't care anymore. The remaining teams all play such physical games, they resemble inner-city street fights...no thanks. I hope either UCLA or UF makes it to the top. Oops, I shouldn't have said that....now their toast!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Duke love! :) Yeah, my friends and I are pretty much done with watching the rest of the Tournament...so sad, so sad. And I am sorry about your BC team losing. It is sadly ironic. Now I have no idea who to cheer for. Oh well. At least I have 3 years to hope right? :) I love you and hope you are doing great. Oh! By the way! :) :) Jessca Facebooked me and we have been talking! :D

-Daniel