Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Martha & Jesus

But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me." But the Lord answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:40 - 42, NASB)

"Martha is not asking a question here. She is stating what she believes to be a fact. She is looking into the eyes of Love itself and calling Him unaware and uncaring. Because He doesn't seem to be interested in what she thinks is important. Instead of sharply correcting Martha, Jesus lovingly rebukes her for being worried and upset while she missed what was truly important--fellowship with Him. " - Dr. Eggerichs

-----------------------

Something profound just hit me today as I listened to the book Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs.

Martha was filled with self righteousness when she thought she saw something in her world that Jesus did not. It's incredible for me to realize this because it was Jesus she was talking to. JESUS! The perfect example of Love...and yet she still fell into the trap of self righteousness.

That just shows me how strong that bent is in my own life. If Martha could still fall into the trap while she talked to Jesus...how much more can I when I talk to people around me? As a woman I do see things in the world differently than a man; however that does not mean that I am right about my perception. It's just a different perspective on the world. Not only that but it can be, in many ways, completely wrong and misguided!

What an enormous amount of grace and patience God must lavish on me as I walk though this life learning to die to myself and trust His way not my own.

He truly is an amazing God!

No comments: