Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Turkey Bowling


Last night I went to my first "turkey bowl" and actually did pretty well for myself. I made it a goal to break a hundred every game we bowled and I succeeded!

Faith, a woman with bowling in her blood (her relatives are very good!), won both games we played, but I was a close second. She was the one who really kept me competitive and made the game more interesting. The other women in my group wanted to chat and bond. Seriously...so overrated! ;) Faith and I kept poking and prodding them whenever it was their turn...

People in a bowling alley seem to come up with the most interesting ways to knock down those pins. Here are a few I observed:
  • Sometimes the bowler will fling their arm straight back before swinging it forward again releasing the ball. Let's just say whenever they bowl, be sure and stand off to the side, just in case the ball happened to slip!
  • Other times the bowler will lightly throw the ball down and stand there watching it with their arms down at their sides and hands pointing outwards, bent at the wrist, almost as though anticipating the moment when they can spring outward and celebrate a strike!
  • In the lane next to us was a family who decided to use every technique known to man to get that ball down the lane. The little girl would sit on the floor with her lavender-colored dress and push the ball down. She would watch it from this position until it struck the pins. SO ADORABLE!
  • On the otherhand, her brother would throw the ball and then spin around and kick his legs in excitement! But he wouldn't throw it down a lane, but down the middle of two lanes where the workers normally walk to retreve stray balls or fix pins. Needless to say, his technique left his ball stuck a few times!
  • Their older sister wound up and tossed the ball to where it would make a resounding crack as it hit the wooden floor quickly rolling either into the gutter or into one corner pin. She would toss her head and shug, not really minding the low score.
Overall it was a fun night. Lessons learned?

-Paying by the hour is crap...it's so much better to pay by the game. You can't anticipate how long a game will last!

-Getting a strike after you've gotten a gutter ball sucks cause it only counts as a spare...sadly this happened to me twice. :(

-Playing with your small group is amazing!

-Be sure and choose your ball first! It's hard to find those ten pounders once the families have settled in!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

haha I always pick a 10 pounder ball as well...

I think Wii has actually made me a better bowler... I hardly ever get strikes in real life, but since I've played Wii, I got 5 strikes in one actual game.

Anonymous said...

I saw a link on Melissa's blog. I figured it was you! It's too bad they don't have Canadian 5 pin bowling down here. That's what I grew up with. 2 pound balls, no finger holes, kind of like skeet balls. Just throw it underhand as hard as you can, no real technique needed.

Tim C