Friday, June 29, 2007

What Motivates My Life? God or Fear?

Self-realizations are good and very often hard to swallow, because most of the time what I see inside isn't pretty! The past few years the Lord has taken me on a journey challenging me to place my desire for control into His hands. Time and time again as He provides opportunties for me to submit to Him, He proves He is trustworthy, faithful and loving. Even when I choose to take back control sometimes, He patiently reminds me that with submitting comes freedom ... rest ... and peace. I read this article today and it again reminded me that choosing to live a life of fear and worry (two forms of control) is futile and crippling. So I posted part of it here, for the full article, just follow the link at the end.

Fight Fear With Fear by Suzanne Hadley

… I see variations of fear all too often. Fear over whether I'll get married. Fear about starting a conversation with a neighbor. Fear of whether I'll accomplish the thing I set out to do.

I recently discovered fear playing an unwelcome role in my relationship with a godly guy. At the beginning of our relationship, I was very reserved. Instead of reciprocating naturally as he pursued me, I worried about saying or doing things exactly right. As I looked more deeply at why I felt anxious each time we met, I realized that I was "playing it cool" as a defense mechanism. Of course, I could justify it as "guarding my heart." But the real reason I did it was because I thought if I didn't get too excited about the relationship or invest too deeply, I wouldn't risk being disappointed. Unfortunately, my fears were stifling the relationship.

I began to pray that God would remove ungodly fear from me. If I believed that God had provided this relationship (and I did), my action in it should not be motivated by fear. The verse that came to mind was 2 Timothy 1:7: "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind" (NKJV). Although Paul is saying this in the context of evangelism, an absence of fear should be a hallmark of any godly pursuit. As I committed to trust the Lord and not put my own "safety nets" in place, the relationship began to blossom.

Let Love Lead
Last year when I felt God urging me to take a teenager into my home, I had reason to fear. With a history of poor choices, my potential housemate came with some risk. While most of my confidants encouraged me to pursue what God had laid on my heart, a few offered unsettling warnings of what "could happen."

As I prayed for the Lord's direction, the truth found in 1 John 4:18 became real to me: "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." God has perfect love for both Lena and me. The more I focused on God's love for Lena, the more fear faded away. My confidence in God's plan and His love for me convinced me I had nothing to fear. … When God's love is compelling us, there is no reason to fear.

Holy Fear
There is one thing we are told to fear, however, and that is a Holy God. ... A fear of the Lord protects us from foolish actions and motivates us to do things that rail against human wisdom. In "holy fear," Noah built the ark (Hebrews 11:7). Because they "feared God," the Hebrew midwives let the boys live when Pharaoh ordered they be killed. And Paul tells the Corinthians that their knowledge of what it means to fear the Lord is what motivates them "to persuade men" (2 Corinthians 5:11). In each of these cases, a fear of God obliterated lesser fears.

Whom or what we fear comes down to an issue of authority. Do I truly believe God has absolute control in my life? If so, have a submitted myself fully to Him? Ungodly fear arises when I attempt to depend on my own judgment and perspective. For over a year, there has been a project I have been dragging my feet to complete. Part of the issue is laziness. I am also aware that its potential spiritual impact isn't something the enemy is excited about. But another part of my hesitancy is fear that I'll fail—that the finished product will not live up to the idea. ... God is motivating me to move past doubts over personal failure and complete the task. When we have a proper perspective of God's greatness and His control in our lives, that awe causes smaller fears to dissipate.

Safe With Jesus
"Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, 'Lord, save us! We're going to drown!' He replied, 'You of little faith, why are you so afraid?' Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, 'What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!'" Matthew 8:24-27

My life felt like that storm. The tasks before me were like the waves sweeping over the boat. But the truth was, the storm and the waves did not have the power to destroy me. They were obedient to Christ. Each new circumstance, relationship and challenge provides the opportunity for me to play with fear or choose to trust. When I allow the Christ who ruled the storm to rule my heart, fear loses its power over me.

Copyright © 2007 Suzanne Hadley. All rights reserved. International copyright secured.
The complete text of this article is available at http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0001529.cfm

No comments: